Monday, March 12, 2012

Do Unto Others


I was dusting yesterday (cleaning is my absolute least favorite chore) and the wooden plaque pictured above sits on top of a bookshelf in our school room. I had to move it when I dusted the top of the bookshelf and when I looked at it I started really thinking about what it said. The wisdom on this plaque (often called "the Golden Rule") is of course from the Bible, Matthew 7:12 (and Luke 6:31), and is based on the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount:

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. (KJV)

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (NIV)

After looking at (and while still dusting) I thought to myself: What if every single person on the planet lived their life, at the very least, by just this single verse?

What would that look like?

How different would the world be? 

I think this command is actually two in one - the positive and the negative or prohibitive:

  • (Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.


  • (Negative/prohibitive form): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.


  • If everyone treated others as they want to be treated, and did not treat others in ways they do not want to be treated, would the pain and suffering in the world be lessened? I know we wouldn't have a perfect world, far from it, but it seems to me that the world would at least be a better place (and yes, I know this scenario is never going to happen, but humor me).

    I don't know why I was struck by these words yesterday (when I've dusted and moved that plaque at least 20 times before), but since I have been pondering them I thought I would blog about it. If you are an actual reader of my blog (all five of you) please excuse my occasional disjointed ramblings! :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment