Saturday, January 7, 2012

What's In a Name?

I finally named our homeschool! I've been wanting to for years, but I kept agonizing over the name and there are so many verses I like that I couldn't pick one. I finally decided yesterday to just do it; I mean this is our fourth year homeschooling and it is way past time! So, here is the big unveiling...


Its not fancy, or professional, or anything (after all, I had to use free online clip art), but I'm happy with it. At first I was looking for a name in Latin, but that became too hard so I decided to go with English :)

I started by making a list of words I might like to use and then did a keyword search for each one on BibleGateway. About half an hour later I had narrowed down my favorites and started to combine words and searched for verses containing both words. As soon as I typed in the words heart and light I knew that I really wanted to use those and I immediatley thought of the ET song 'Turn On Your Heartlight,' and then I loved it even more (ET was originally released in 1982 and I have a clear memory of going to see ET at the movie theater with my grandparents; I also remember being able to sing the entire song from memory). The icing on the cake was finding Psalm 97:11 and it was a done deal. I then searched for free clip art to go with the name and found the orange/yellow heart with light highlights. Finally, I used Microsoft Paint to add the words, and voila! We have a name, logo, and motto/verse for our homeschool! 

And for all the ET lovers, and music/movie buffs out there, the song 'Turn On Your Heartlight' was released and performed by Neil Diamond in 1982 and reached #5 on the Billboard Top 100 the same year. Here are the lyrics of the chorus (which I think fit our homeschool name and verse quite nicely): 

Turn on your heartlight
Let it shine wherever you go
Let it make a happy glow
For all the world to see

 

No comments:

Post a Comment