Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday

A Prayer: Living and Dying
By: Augustus Toplady (1740-1778)

Rock of ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee!
Let the Water and the Blood,
From thy riven Side which flow'd,
Be of sin the double cure;
Cleanse me from its guilt and pow'r.

Not the labors of my hands
Can fulfill thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears for ever flow,
All for sin could not atone:
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring;
Simply to thy Cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the Fountain fly;
Wash me, SAVIOUR, or I die!

While I draw this fleeting breath -
When my eyestrings break in death -
When I soar through tracts unknown -
See Thee on Thy Judgement-throne -
ROCK of ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment