Friday, December 23, 2011

I Just Wanted a 3 Column Blog


So today I decided that I wanted my blog to have three columns instead of two - you know the kind where the blog posts are in the middle and you have 'stuff' on either side. Well, this small change turned into a multi-hour project and by the end of the ordeal I was exhausted. The first thing I discovered was that to have a three column blog I needed to change my blog layout. OK, I thought, I can handle that. I go into the blogger settings and find where I can change the blog layout, I choose the three column style, and apply the change...and disaster strikes!

The brown background I had before doesn't work with the three column blog layout! OK, fine, I will just change my background. After all, I've had the same background for awhile now and a change might be nice. I go to the website where I found my previous background and look for a new one that I like that will work with a three column blog. I find a nice purple one (my favorite color) and switch the code on my blog for the background...but the saga continues.

The template I had been using doesn't work with the new background, and I discover that since the last time I changed backgrounds blogger has updated and changed all their templates. It takes me half an hour to figure out which template will work with the new background, and once I do I realize that I don't like the way the blog title looks with the new template. So I go back to the site where I found the background and find a banner that I like, but the banner doesn't match the background I had chosen (of course). I decide to search for a banner that does match, but discover that they don't make one. They do, however, make a background to match the banner I like so I decide to use that background instead (its pink though which is definitely not one of my favorite colors, but I decide to just go with it). I get the background switched again, and set to work on the banner.

Fifteen minutes later the banner title is on and I realize that the new template's default setting is to align the blog title/header/banner all the way to left, instead of centered, and it looks terrible (and was driving me crazy). I go on a search to find out how to center the header/blog title and another fifteen minutes later that's done. I preview the blog and find a few other minor formatting, font, and color issues so I find fixes for and tinker around with those, and an hour later I'm finally happy with the overall look.

Then I discover that there are heading tabs (I didn't have any before) that match my background and banner so I get those and add them to my blog. Next, I mess around with the gadgets on my blog and arrange everything the way I want it, but in the process I find that the width of the sidebars won't accommodate some of my gadgets, so I have to go back to the template and adjust the widths and then move a few of the gadgets that still won't fit.

Finally, I survey my ALL NEW blog and decide that it looks great, but that it really isn't me. I'm not a pink and black with bows type of person, and while I like the new look (and will not be changing it anytime soon) I've already found a background and banner that I like better (and are much more me), so the next time I have a few hours to spare (ha-as if!) my blog will be getting another face lift. In the meantime, if you are a pink and black with bows type of person please enjoy the new look!

No comments:

Post a Comment