Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Recently Read & Recommend


I typically decide to read a book based on a friend or family member's recommendation, and the first thing I do is visit Amazon's website and read the book's reviews. The second thing I do is borrow the book from the library (or the friend who recommended it) because I almost never buy a book unless I have read it or at least looked at/skimmed it in hand.

Several friends recommended the book Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp at our last homeschool support meeting. I remembered having heard of this book and that I had considered reading it about a year ago. Per my usual routine I had looked at the book on Amazon's website and discovered it had received 3.5 stars (out of 5) and had gotten some mixed reviews - lots of people loved and lots disliked it, and although I don't make my decision to read or not read a book based on the Amazon reviews (there are several books that I love that have gotten mixed reviews and less than 4 stars on Amazon) I decided not to read it at the time. So, when several close friends, who I dearly love and respect, recommended it I decided it was time to read it and judge for myself. And the verdict is....

I LOVED IT! If you are a Christian parent and you have not read it I highly recommend that you do so. It has so much great information that I can't even begin to give a synopsis. The main controversy over this book is that the author advocates spanking, and while I am not anti-spanking I do not entirely agree with him on every point regarding spanking. I do, however, think that the book overall is excellent and a wonderful resource.

Bottom line: I bought the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment